Sunday, September 5, 2010

Du'a: An Eternal Gift

Millions of Muslims are observing the last ten days of the holy month of Ramadhan.  This is a time of reflection.  I ask myself before I ask you to reflect:  
Did we do everything we set out to do
Did we give with good intentions...with pureness of heart...with sweetened words
Did we give without expecting anything in return
Did we think what we gave will protect us on the day of Judgment

Now is the time to reflect and then to bring it on our tongues in the form of a du'a (a prayer, a supplication).  This, in my mind, is the eternal gift you can give.  Ask forgiveness for yourself, your family, and your neighbors.  Remember those suffering in Pakistan.  Let 's be grateful for all that we have, including the tests and trials we have faced -- If I think about mine, they don't compare to the suffering of the flood victims in Pakistan, or those suffering all around the world.  I am thankful for everything.  I hope you are as well. 

Lastly, I want to leave you with is a hadith narrated by Aisha (RA): 
“Once, when I saw the Prophet in a good mood, I said to him: “O Messenger of Allah! Supplicate to Allah for me!”  So, he said: “O Allah! Forgive ‘A’ishah her past and future sins, what she has hidden, as well as what she has made apparent.“  So, I began smiling, to the point that my head fell into my lap out of joy. The Messenger of Allah said to me: “Does my supplication make you happy?"  I replied: “And how can your supplication not make me happy?”  He then said: “By Allah, it is the supplication that I make for my Ummah in every prayer."
[Reported in ‘Sahih Mawarid adh-Dhaman’ (# 1875), and it is in ‘as-Silsilah as-Sahihah’ (# 2254]
  ****************
أَللّهُمَّ إِنَّكَ عَفُوٌّ كَرِيْمٌ تُحِبُّ العَفْوَ فَاعْفُ عَنّيْ
Allāhumma Innaka ‘Afuwwun karīmun Tuhibbul ‘afwa fa’fu ‘anni
Translation: Oh Allāh certainly You are most Forgiving, You love to Forgive, so forgive me.
**************
Share with us the du'as (prayers) you will be making in these last ten days of Ramadhan.  
(Leave your comments below)

No comments:

Post a Comment